Sunday 11 March 2012

LOVE TYPO

One of the projects during the imaging section of this first year on the degree course was to design a new typeface including uppercase & lowercase letters, numbers and punctuation. The brief specified we could use any graphic design program, 2D, 3D, and even edible materials. It had to represent something we are passionate about. To design my typeface I used letters, numbers and punctuation marks from the titles of films. For a long time I have been a huge lover of films from across the world from Japan to the United Kingdom. I’m into a variety of genres and types of films from horror to Disney and romance to action. Over time I have built up my film collection and whether they terrify me or make me cry, in my nature I am extremely curious and a daydreamer. I am very passionate about films and thought they might be perfect possessions to base my new typeface on, and turned out to be quite interesting, varied, bold and unique. I used letters, numbers and punctuation from throughout the titles not just the first characters as sometimes the most interesting letters weren’t the first. Once a film was used it wasn’t used again and only a few of the films I used were not my own. NOTE: Unfortunately, I had a little trouble finding films with some of the punctuation marks in and had to leave them out from my new typeface on purpose as I didn’t want to make them up and not use characters from a real film. In my research I gained knowledge of the different kinds of types used through the eras in film posters, I also found illustrations of type from Andy Smith and Ed Fella to be quite inspirational for my final typeface.
FILMS USED FOR UPPERCASE LETTERS.
FILMS USED FOR LOWERCASE LETTERS.
BELOW IS MY FINAL TYPEFACE, ALTHOUGH, I HAVE ONLY INCLUDED MY UPPER AND LOWERCASE TYPE.
I hand drew all of the characters and used a variety of materials. Although it took longer than i thought, I’m quite happy with the end results. They’re bold, charismatic and unique, and they represent something I’m really into and forever building on.

1 comment:

  1. oh hannah! love these! hadnt seen em before but now i have and i love it! love the concept!

    ReplyDelete